As the center of campus intellectual discovery, the Sacramento State University Library promotes teaching, learning, research, and scholarly communication at the University by integrating the library with student success programs and instruction. One of twenty-three libraries in the California State University System, the Sacramento State University Library holds over 1.4 million volumes, comprised of print and electronic monographs and serials, and is a U.S. Government Depository. The library’s mission is to inspire excellence in teaching, learning, and scholarly activities.
The University Library is undergoing rapid transformation with a forward-thinking vision and a deep commitment to improving the campus learning environment. We welcome individuals from diverse backgrounds to join our growing organization of 25 library faculty, 30 staff and approximately 30 FTE student assistants. We take pride in the collaborative nature in which our students, staff, and faculty work together in a professional and supportive environment to ensure one another’s success.
The University Library is committed to ensuring our library is a welcoming and inclusive place for all of our students, faculty, staff, and community members. Sacramento State is a minority-serving institution having the federal designation as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Island Serving Institution (AANAPISI). We strive to provide equal access to educational opportunities and commit ourselves to anti-racist and social justice objectives in service to our communities. As an anchor university we aim to connect our students, faculty, and staff with the community to achieve lasting improvements through inclusive civic engagement.
We seek a professionally engaged and collaborative leader who will foster a user-centered approach to services to support the academic, professional, and personal success of a diverse student population. Responsibilities include the daily management of circulation services, collections and building support, course reserves, and resource sharing.
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Academic Services, the Head of User Services leads the setting of goals, objectives and priorities for User Services consistent with the Library’s strategic plan, national standards, and best practices; fosters a dynamic, welcoming, and user-oriented environment for students, faculty, staff, and community users through continuous innovation and assessment of user experiences; manages departmental budget allocations; leads a cohesive student assistant orientation and training program; engages with the university community to plan, design, and implement new services and programs that improve service delivery to meet their changing needs; and applies data-driven decision making regarding improving, continuing and/or retiring services.
This is a probationary, 12-month, tenure-track position at the Senior Assistant/Associate Librarian rank with an expected start date of Fall 2022; salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Librarians in the CSU system enjoy full faculty status and as such are eligible for campus service opportunities, sabbatical and other leaves, and additional benefits. Librarians are represented under Unit 3 of the California Faculty Association (CFA). Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans; generous paid leave (24 vacation days and one personal holiday per year and one day of sick leave per month); and membership in CALPERS, the largest retirement system in the country. Library faculty must demonstrate professional competence, scholarly and/or creative achievement, and service to the University and community in order to meet university requirements for tenure and promotion.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library and Information Science or international equivalent.
- Three years or more experience supervising staff in a public services setting, including at least two years of library experience.
- Ability to provide leadership (planning, supervising, assessment, customer service, etc.).
- Ability to promote current and new services.
- Ability to initiate, develop, and assess innovative services and programs that advance strategic goals.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills; demonstrated initiative and service commitment to serving diverse users (race/ethnicity, first generation, physical/mental challenges, etc.) and to centering accessibility in user services
- Demonstrated success in project management, including ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Evidence of continued professional development, involvement, and contribution.
- Demonstrated clear and effective communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to work effectively with diverse populations that are reflective of a wide range of background and cultural heritage and social identities.
- Demonstrated success in leadership of a user services or similar unit within an academic library.
- Experience with space-planning and physical collection management.
- Experience in managing a unit or department budget.
- Experience working with assessment tools.
- Experience in a consortial environment in the delivery of circulation and resource sharing services.
- Demonstrated expertise in contemporary copyright issues and open access initiatives.
- Experience working in a collective bargaining environment.
- Experience working as a librarian.
$5,779 to $7,276 (Senior Assistant Librarian)
$6,630 to $9,186 (Associate Librarian)
Barring a disruption due to natural disaster or the pandemic, final candidates will be expected to attend an in-person interview at Sacramento State.
Final candidates will be asked to submit contact information for their current supervisor to provide a professional reference after a job offer is made, but before a final contract is signed.
It is only necessary for applicants to meet the required qualifications in order to apply.
Review of applications will begin on August 1, 2022; position open until filled.
Candidates must include the following attachments with the application:
- Cover letter
- Current curriculum vitae/résumé.
- As an equal opportunity employer with a diverse staff and student population, Sacramento State is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching and working environment for all. What contributions are you most proud of that exemplify your awareness and sensitivity towards promoting an inclusionary environment? What have you learned working with diverse populations? Please limit your response to 500 words.
- The names and contact information of three professional references including one supervisor, one peer, and one direct report.
- Unofficial transcripts attesting to the highest degree earned (official transcripts required upon hire).
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of CSU Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interview process, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/index.html.
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/Information%20for%20Job%20Applicants.html
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-Know Act Notification. For additional information, visit http://www.csus.edu/aba/police/
Complete information on the position and instructions on how to apply can be found here https://careers.csus.edu/en-us/job/516159/head-of-user-services-librarian.