The Research and Instruction Librarian provides research assistance to students and faculty, teaches information literacy classes, and serves as a liaison to faculty in assigned subject areas. This position, which enjoys faculty status, supports the University’s mission of promoting academic excellence and Christian values by helping students and faculty conduct research, teaching information literacy classes, and developing a strong collection of library materials.
Recent M.L.I.S. graduates are encouraged to apply; Pepperdine Libraries is committed to providing training, mentoring, and other forms of support to encourage the growth of the person in this position. The desired candidate for this position possesses a creative outlook.
- Provide research assistance to students and faculty in-person (drop-in and scheduled appointments), over the phone, and via chat, email, and Zoom.
- Actively participate in information literacy instruction: Plan, implement and assess a program of orientation and instruction for students, faculty, and staff at Payson Library. Teach general first-year seminar information literacy sessions as well as subject-specific information literacy classes for assigned subject areas. Instruct patrons in information-seeking research skills. Instruct patrons in the use of both print and electronic information sources.
- Provide instructional support to librarians. Tasks include: creating tutorials, video shorts, and other audiovisual materials; producing infographics and other graphic designs; and developing a process for maintaining and updating these materials on a regular basis.
- Serve as liaison to faculty in select academic division(s) assigned based on the librarian’s academic background and work experience. Tasks include: Providing in-person and online library instruction sessions, developing online instructional resources and tutorials to support the use of library resources, selecting relevant materials in all formats, deselecting materials, and promoting the use of general and subject-oriented print and electronic research guides and other instructional materials.
- Assist the Associate University Librarian for Public Services and Instruction to ensure that critical service points are fully staffed during the library’s open hours. This position requires working regular evening and weekend hours.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including assisting with student employee supervision, maintaining knowledge of current information literacy instructional techniques, including new innovative practices; participating on library and university committees, and participating in regional and national professional activities.
- Uphold University mission and Libraries’ core values through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree in Library Science and Information Science (M.L.I.S) from an ALA-accredited program. An appreciation for and commitment to the university’s Christian mission and a desire to contribute to that mission; demonstrated commitment to diversity and experience promoting inclusive excellence; demonstrated sound judgment and emotional intelligence; strong verbal and written communication skills. Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, and Zoom; experience with library systems, course management software, and educational technology applications, including Sakai, Panopto, Tipasa, Zotero, and SpringShare (or comparable software)
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Librarian, Exempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.