Job no: 516552
Work type: Staff
Location: Monterey Bay
Categories: Unit 9 – CSUEU – Technical Support Services, Probationary, Full Time, Library
Classification: Library Services Specialist III
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Mid $4,000’s/month
Hours: Full-time / 40 hours per week
Priority Screening Date: July 24, 2022
Recruitment Status: Open Until Filled
Powered by an inspiring https://csumb.edu/about/founding-vision-statement, https://csumb.edu/about (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives through a focus on student success and engagement through project-based learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. The university’s https://csumb.edu/about/mission-strategic-plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB’s sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university’s faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
Under the general supervision of the Library Dean, the Interlibrary Loan Specialist performs specialized technical and paraprofessional duties and oversees the daily operations of the document delivery and interlibrary loan (ILL) functions of the California State University Monterey Bay (CSUMB) Library. Participates in planning and implementing a range of electronically based document delivery and interlibrary loan services and participates in library and/or campus teams to plan and implement cross-functional or Library-wide policies and initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee and lead the day-to-day activities and projects of the interlibrary loan unit; manage projects; train, assign work, organize workflow, establish priorities, assist, and review work performed by part-time staff, student assistants, etc.; verify automated delivery of articles to CSUMB patrons using Odyssey, Article Exchange, and email; monitor the document delivery email account; order supplies; contact IT personnel when non-library technology systems incur problems.
- Process all borrowing requests for CSUMB patrons: verify patron eligibility; determine copyright requirements; identify correct and/or most appropriate bibliographic record; determine eligible and most appropriate lenders; transmit requests; update data/records, process received items; notify CSUMB patrons about item availability; monitor overdue and recalled items; generate overdue notices; return items to supply library.
- Oversee and process all incoming lending/borrowing requests from other institutions.
- Troubleshoot and resolve problem requests using online databases, Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) and ILLiad.
- Scan articles using Odyssey, Article Exchange and Adobe Acrobat to make items available to CSUMB patrons when necessary and for the other borrowing institutions.
- Prepare invoices and department reports, including, but not limited to: monthly usage statistics, annual reports, IFM reports from OCLC; copyright fee reports, and reports to State Library for reimbursement for items lent to California public libraries.
- Attend online and in-person training sessions to remain up to date with the latest interlibrary lending, borrowing, and information management technologies, programs and procedures; monitor and investigate new software, technology developments, and training options for software upgrades relevant to the academic interlibrary loan environment. Represent the CSUMB ILL unit in local and statewide consortiums.
- Install, maintain, and update interlibrary loan software clients on all library computers used for ILL tasks.
- Serve as liaison with ILL system vendor and coordinate all CSUMB ILL software/system services. Consult with system vendor regarding installation and compatibility issues.
- Ensure that all relevant systems are running optimally for unit functions.
Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated expertise in using library automated system(s), especially subsystem(s) pertaining to the functional area, including database maintenance. Familiarity with ILLiad and Ex Libris ILS Resource Sharing module a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of external on-line databases, system and resources, including the ability to perform complex on-line searches.
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to interpret overall library policies and procedures and an in-depth knowledge of library operations, policies and procedures pertaining to assigned notional area, including a solid understanding of individual work functions and the ability to adapt work procedures.
- Working knowledge of library collection and its organization, as well as classification schemes.
- Demonstrated expertise in creating and correcting bibliographic records.
- Working knowledge of copyright laws and intellectual property rights as these pertain to lending and borrowing information in all media.
- Ability to investigate and research more complex problems, including analyzing and interpreting information
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of lead work direction including assisting in employee selection, training employees in new work procedures, assigning work, organizing workflow and establishing priorities, reviewing work, providing input to performance evaluations and promoting teamwork to optimize effectiveness.
- Working knowledge of campus human resource practices and payroll procedures. Strong organizational skills to oversee and lead workflow in assigned area.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to be able to prepare internal library reports and written and visual presentations on library resources and present them to library patrons, including students.
- Strong communication and interpretive skills to be able to interview patrons regarding their information needs and guide them in the use of more complex library and on-line resources.
Equivalent to completion of a high school education or equivalent certification and four years of related library experience or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Experience providing document delivery/interlibrary loan services, including the use of the OCLC ILL Subsystem, digitizing hardware, Adobe, Ariel, and Copyright Clearance Center/lLLiad interface. Knowledge of national interlibrary lending standards relevant to academic libraries. Experience in training, organizing, delegating and monitoring the work of library staff. Project management skills.
Preferred Qualifications/Desirable Experience:
Equivalent to two years of a college education. Demonstrated initiative and adaptability to change. Evidence of continuous education and training to enhance skills and knowledge.
Technical fluency with Banner, Oracle/PeopleSoft, CSU Common Management System or equivalent student information system; Microsoft Office Professional Suite, and Google mail and calendaring programs.
Highly desirable: Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to CSUMB’s Vision.
Special Conditions of Employment &Amp; Position Designations:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a \“mandated reporter\” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in http://www.calstate.edu/EO/EO-1083-rev-7-21-17.html as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1095-rev-6-23-15.html.
- This position is required to comply with confidentiality requirements outlined in the Department of Education’s Family Educational Rights and Privacy and California’s Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with:
- responsibility for the care, safety and security of people (including children and minors), animals and CSU property
- responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access
- access to and responsibility for detailed personally identifiable Level 1 confidential information about students, faculty, staff or alumni that is protected, personal or sensitive as defined in the https://dl.airtable.com/zgstG8qzSAyuLfU4NKDT_Data%20Classification.pdf
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates.
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Interim Policy, all students and employees are required to submit their vaccination status to the Otter Vaccination Registry and are encouraged to be vaccinated.
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental and vision plans; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14-paid holidays a year. For more information, visit https://www2.calstate.edu/csu-system/careers/benefits/Documents/employee-benefits-summary.pdf. Additionally, as a perk, the University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability; visit https://www.schoonoverparkapartments.com/ for more information.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/mb/en-us/listing/. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389 or email mailto:email@example.com. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics, you can view the notice of availability and access the Cal State University, Monterey Bay annual security and fire safety reports at https://csumb.edu/clery/asr-and-fsr-notices-availability/.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3226847