Braille Institute of America
Director of Library Services
Los Angeles, CA
The Organization: For nearly 100 years, Braille Institute of America has been working to eliminate the barriers to leading a full and fulfilling life as a result of blindness or severe sight loss. Each year Braille Institute serves more than 75,000 people through integrated educational, social, and recreational programs. For more information, please visit www.brailleinstitute.org.
The Library: The award-winning Braille Institute Library (which also serves as the Southern California branch of the National Library Service) provides around 1 million free books (print and digital), periodicals and other texts in braille, large-print and audio formats to over 20,000 patrons. The Library also offers a telephone reader program (both online and on the phone), a book-of-the-month club, descriptive videos, computers, CCTV’s and more.
The Position: The Director of Library Services is responsible for supporting Braille Institute’s mission, vision and values through leadership of Braille Institute’s library program. Reporting to the Vice President of Programs & Services and managing the Library Services team – consisting of three direct reports and 30 full time staff – s/he will be responsible for:
- Ensuring efficient and elevated operation of Library Services;
- Leading a comprehensive assessment of the current library program and creating a strategic plan to renew information/literacy services for the digital age;
- Collaborating with Regional Center Executive Directors (in Anaheim, Rancho Mirage, Santa Barbara and San Diego) to ensure their Branch library programs are providing consistent and optimal services;
- Providing strategic vision and direction for special library programs and projects related to resource sharing, information literacy, digital library technologies and other opportunities that arise;
- Providing general department management including hiring, training, evaluating performance, maximizing productivity, promoting teamwork, developing staff and handling corrective action issues;
- Overseeing department operating expense budget with accountability for variances;
- Representing the Library at national, state and local conferences, workshops, seminars and local community groups;
- Teaming with the Philanthropy Department on various fundraising opportunities;
- Providing narrative and statistical reports and data to Braille Institute management, State Library and National Library Service (NLS) as required.
This position provides an opportunity to leverage Braille Institute’s strong brand and full arsenal of international, national and local resources in making a direct impact on the lives and livelihood of individuals living with blindness and severe sight loss.
To be considered for the position, candidates must possess a minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible work experience in Library Services and at least 5 years in a managerial capacity; a combination of education and experience which demonstrates the ability to successfully meet the requirements of the position may be considered. Thorough knowledge of the principles of library science, organization and functions and administration is a must and experience working with the blind and visually impaired is highly desirable. In addition, a Bachelor’s degree is required and a Master’s degree in Library Science is preferred. The Braille Institute offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with qualifications and experience, and comprehensive benefits including: health, dental and vision insurance; paid vacation and paid holidays; a 403(b) Retirement Plan; and free parking.
Nominations, inquiries, or applications (including a cover letter and resume/curriculum vitae) should be directed electronically and in confidence, to:firstname.lastname@example.org