Touro University California
Touro University California, a rapidly growing university offering graduate programs in health sciences and education, has an excellent opportunity for an Electronic Resources/Instruction Librarian for Touro University’s Library on our Mare Island campus. The university is part of the Touro College and University System and is located on the northern tip of San Francisco Bay in Vallejo, California. Touro University California is an independent, non-profit Jewish-sponsored institution. It has 1,403 students in three graduate professional colleges (Osteopathic Medicine, Pharmacy, Education and Health Sciences).
Under the general direction of the Director of the Library, activates, troubleshoots, maintains access for Library’s electronic resources and develops and maintains the Library’s website. Working with another librarian, provides instruction and reference to the College of Pharmacy and the Physician Assistant Studies and Public Health Programs and selects for and maintains the Library resources for this college and schools. Also participates in providing general library instruction and reference and in the overall growth and development of the Library and its services.
• Working with vendors, TUC IT staff, and counterparts at other Touro libraries, activates, maintains, and troubleshoots access to Library electronic resources and databases including mobile services. Provides and maintains documentation to e-resources/databases.
• Obtains and compiles usage statistics for electronic resources and provides analysis pertaining to their usage and cost per use.
• Assists users with electronic access problems and questions.
• Provides EndNote training, documentation, coordination with IT staff, and assistance to patrons.
• Maintains the accuracy and currency of serial holdings using Serials Solutions and maintains link
• Develops and maintains content for Library website and maintains the Library’s presence on social
media such as Facebook, etc.
• Investigates new e-resource products that may be of interest to TUC including setting up trials and
assessments of products being tried.
• Drafts and serves as editor of the monthly Library online newsletter and readies to the point of
• Working with another librarian, provides Library assistance, instruction, and support to students, faculty
and staff in the College of Pharmacy (COP) and the Physician Assistant Studies (PA) and Public Health
(PH) Programs including orientations, class instructions, reference, online aids.
• Working with another librarian, identifies, selects, and maintains the monograph and journal holdings
and resources in support of the COP, PA and PH curriculums.
• Representing the curriculum and research needs of the COP, PA and PH in conjunction with the other
librarians and the Library Director, participates in the Library process for the selection, renewal and
deselection of databases and aggregate electronic resources.
• Provides general reference and instruction service. May be required to work evening hours.
• Serves as back-up to the Access Services/Instruction Librarian for providing interlibrary loan service
• Maintains the Library Group Study Room Registration System using LibCal Software and related hardware in Library
• Participates in overall discussions and efforts to promote the Library’s growth and services
• Master’s degree from an ALA accredited library or information science program.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Strong service orientation
• Ability to be a flexible and productive team member
• Keeps abreast of new technologies and library trends and products pertaining to this area of
• Previous library experience in a college or university setting
• Experience with an integrated library system
• Experience with digital resources, link resolvers and authentication methods
• Experience with web design and web technologies
• Library instruction experience
• Reference experience
• User services experience
• Work experience and/or educational background related to pharmacy and/or the health sciences
CORE COMPETENCIES: identify the behavior an employee is expected to demonstrate.
• Is able to maintain a consistent and reliable operation, delivery of, and access to the Library’s e- resources including timely implementation of new e-resources and troubleshooting of problems related to e-resources using initiative, good judgment, timely follow-up as appropriate.
• Maintains up-to-date, timely and well-organized statistics and sound analysis related to e-resources including usage trends, cost per use, type of use.
• Is able to provide Library users accurate and prompt assistance and training when dealing with e- resources and EndNote
• Stays informed about web technology, mobile services, social media, particularly as it is applicable to libraries and library services.
• Maintains an excellent command of print and electronic library resources for pharmacy, physician assistant studies, and public health
• Provides clear, well-organized subject-oriented library instruction appropriate to a particular class or program, and also provides general library instruction as needed.
• Maintains a very good command of print and electronic library resources for pharmacy, physician assistant studies and public health as well as currency of what new library resources are available in assigned subject fields; ability to exercise good judgment about their applicability for the Touro University California Library and to make sound decisions regarding their selection and de-selection.
• As back-up maintains currency and training in interlibrary loan processes and provides timely responses to ILL requests
• Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrates excellent productivity and organizational skills
• Demonstrates ability to work effectively and productively with others
• Demonstrates reliability, flexibility, initiative, attention to detail in carrying out specific job
responsibilities and as member of the Library Faculty
• Demonstrates a strong customer service orientation
• Excellent computer skills including MS Office, web and digital resource technologies
Salary is competitive and commensurate with background and experience. Letters of application and resume with a list of 3 references should be directed to:
1. Email CV: Apply@tu.edu
Subject: Your Name, Electronic Resources/Instruction Librarian
2. Mail: Touro University California
1310 Club Drive Vallejo, CA 94592