California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Full time, Temporary, Non-Tenure Track
Provide reference assistance at the Reference Desk and with our Chat service and assist in the Library’s instructional programs. In addition, this person will be responsible for: liaison responsibilities with faculty members and students in assigned college or department; collection management duties for assigned area(s); library and university committees’ service, and participation in the teaching of a 4-unit Information Literacy course. Will also contribute to special projects in support of library wide and campus initiatives as assigned. This is a full time, temporary, non-tenure track position. Position timeframe is 12-month. Timeframe may be extended depending on the needs of the library.
Rank: Assistant Librarian (non-tenure track);
Salary: Starts at $46,212 (final offer dependent on experience and qualifications).
- ALA-accredited graduate degree in Library/Information Science or equivalent degree
- Experience providing reference service in an academic, public, or corporate library
- Knowledge of traditional and electronic reference sources
- Experience in developing effective library instructions sessions
- Experience designing online instructional guides and tutorials
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a culturally diverse and rapidly evolving environment
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Experienced in using LibGuides
- Experienced teaching a credit-bearing course
- Collection management experience
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than October 21, 2016. Early response is encouraged. Completed application packages will be available for examination by all tenured and probationary librarians.
A completed application (to be submitted via email) will consist of:
- Cover letter addressing the candidate’s interest and background related to each of the qualifications listed above under required and preferred qualifications.
- Completed Employment Form, found at: http://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/documents/acadapplication.pdf.
- Contact information (including name, address, email, and phone number) for three references.
- In addition, please arrange for your three references to each email a signed PDF-format letter of reference to the search committee chair, Emma C. Gibson at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Initial screening can begin without the letters of reference, but they must be received to advance to finalist status. Official transcripts are also required of all finalists.
INTERVIEWS: An on-campus interview and presentation is required for finalists as well as confirmation of degrees and proof of eligibility to work.
Please address all inquiries, requests and application materials via email to:
Chair, Reference Librarian Search Committee
c/o University Library Office
Cal Poly Pomona
3801 West Temple Avenue
Pomona, CA 91768
Phone: (909) 869-4351 FAX: (909) 869-6922 Email: email@example.com
About the University
Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our student population of approximately 23,000 enrolls in 51 baccalaureate, 30 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,200 faculty. We recruit successful and career-focused students from throughout California and beyond. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Southern California is one of the most dynamic economic and cultural environments in the country, and the campus is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
Equal Opportunity Employer
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The University hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the Unites States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available at http://www.cpp.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.