CALIFORNIA STATE POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY, POMONA
Rank: Senior Assistant Librarian (tenure track)
Starting Salary: from a minimum of $63,156 for 12 months (commensurate with qualifications and experience). Relocation funding may be available.
Position description: The California State Polytechnic University, Pomona University Library is seeking an energetic, collaborative and service-centered librarian to work as a member of the Unified Library Management System (ULMS) implementation team and to provide research consultation and instructional services to students, staff, and faculty. The purpose of the Cal State University System’s (CSU) adoption of a next-generation online library services platform is to connect all 23 CSU libraries, by facilitating increased collaboration across campuses and streamlining workflows. This person in this position will also be responsible for liaison relations with faculty members and students in assigned college or department, will serve on library and university committees, and will participate in projects to develop and improve library services.
Desired Professional Attributes:
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong commitment to meeting the information needs of the University community; a strong customer service orientation; an ability and desire to interact effectively with students, faculty, and staff from diverse cultural backgrounds; an ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines; and a willingness to take initiative in devising innovative and creative solutions. The successful candidate will be able to work effectively with students, faculty, staff, and administrators in an academic environment.
- Serve on ULMS Implementation Team; read documentation, participate in ULMS listserv communications, assist with database cleanup ahead of transition, answer questions for staff, participate in training of staff, and serve as liaison to Reference and Instruction
- Provide specialized and advanced reference and research assistance for students and faculty in the assigned subject areas
- Participate in the Library’s general reference and research assistance activities including research help desk, reference by appointment, and web-based interactive reference services
- Be responsible for collection management in the assigned subject areas
- Participate in library, university, and professional-level service
- Engage in regular professional development activities as part of a continuing commitment to increasing effectiveness
- Participate in teaching Lib 150 (4-unit for credit Information Literacy course)
- ALA-accredited graduate degree in Library/Information Science or equivalent degree
- Experience providing reference service in an academic, public, or corporate library
- Knowledge of traditional and electronic reference sources
- Experience in developing effective library instructions sessions
- Experience designing online instructional guides and tutorials
- Collection management experience
- Familiarity with Ex Libris Alma library management system
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a culturally diverse and rapidly evolving environment
- Ability to meet expectations for professional growth consistent with standards for re-appointment, promotion, and tenure
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Experienced in using LibGuides
- Experienced teaching a credit-bearing course
- Experienced assessing student outcomes
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than October 21, 2016. Early response is encouraged. Completed application packages will be available for examination by all tenured and probationary librarians.
A completed application (to be submitted via email) will consist of:
- Cover letter addressing the candidate’s interest and background related to each of the qualifications listed above under required and preferred qualifications.
- Completed Employment Form, found at: http://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/documents/acadapplication.pdf.
- Contact information (including name, address, email, and phone number) for three references.
- In addition, please arrange for your three references to each email a signed PDF-format letter of reference to the Chair, Senior Assistant Librarian Search Committee at: email@example.com. Initial screening can begin without the letters of reference, but they must be received to advance to finalist status. Official transcripts are also required of all finalists.
INTERVIEWS: An on-campus interview and presentation are required for finalists as well as confirmation of degrees and proof of eligibility to work.
Please address all inquiries, requests and application materials via email to:
Chair, Senior Assistant Librarian Search Committee
c/o University Library Office
Cal Poly Pomona
3801 West Temple Avenue
Pomona, CA 91768
Phone: (909) 869-3968
FAX: (909) 869-6922
About the University
Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our student population of approximately 23,000 enrolls in 51 baccalaureate, 30 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,200 faculty. We recruit successful and career-focused students from throughout California and beyond. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Southern California is one of the most dynamic economic and cultural environments in the country, and the campus is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
Equal Opportunity Employer
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The University hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the Unites States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available at http://www.cpp.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.