Menlo College is seeking an Access Services Librarian to join our team. This is a full-time, 12-month, exempt position, with benefits. Some evening and weekend hours are required.
Summary Job Description
Reporting to the Dean of Library Services, the Access Services Librarian is responsible for day-to-day operations of Access Services – circulation, course reserves, serials, stacks maintenance, and facilities management, as well as promotion of library services. This position hires, trains, and supervises student library assistants. Other duties include reference and instruction.
The following list is intended to be descriptive rather than inclusive.
- Manage the Circulation, Course Reserves, and Serials modules of our integrated library system, OCLC Worldshare Management System (WMS)
- Develop and document standards, policies, and practices for Access Services
- Establish and implement circulation rules, loan periods, and other policies
- Work with appropriate campus departments to maintain and update patron circulation records
- Manage accurate shelving and inventories of library collections
- Process overdue notices
- Hire, train, and supervise approximately 8-10 student library assistants; prepare work assignments and schedules for student assistants
- Maintain student assistant budgets
- Maintain and update training manuals
- Provide monthly statistics and other assessments of library services
- Promote our course reserves program and act as a liaison to faculty to put appropriate materials on course reserve
- Provide back-up assistance to the Technical Services Librarian for processing of Interlibrary Loan requests and materials
- Provide research assistance to students, faculty, and the public
- Prepare instructional materials and teach library instruction sessions
- Work collaboratively in the development of brochures, newsletters, and other materials for print, online, and social media that highlight the Library’s services and collections
- Work collaboratively in the development, execution, and promotion of library-related programs, special events, and exhibits
- Maintain awareness of current library trends, technologies, and service models that bear on the Library’s work
- Attend workshops and conferences, as appropriate
- Serve on College committees, as appropriate
- Contribute to special projects of the Library or the College, as appropriate
Qualifications and Skills
- An ALA-accredited MLIS is required
- Experience in an academic or public library
- Experience with an integrated library system, preferably OCLC’s WMS
- Experience in training and/or library instruction
- Recordkeeping experience
- Supervisory experience
- Familiarity with social media tools; graphic and web design skills a plus
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and to juggle work duties as necessary
- Strong commitment to excellent public service
Menlo College is a private, undergraduate college that offers degrees in business and psychology. Located on the San Francisco Peninsula halfway between San Francisco and San Jose, the College has an international student body and values a diverse faculty, staff, and administration.
Please submit a cover letter describing your qualifications for the position, a resume, and contact information for three references. Applications may be mailed or sent as e-mail attachments to:
Linda Smith, Dean of Library Services
1000 El Camino Real, Atherton, CA 94027-4301
All prospective Menlo College employees are required to satisfy a criminal background check.
Menlo College is committed to a firm policy of equal employment opportunity.