Research & Instruction Librarian, Sciences (Senior Assistant Librarian Rank)
All prospective applicants must apply online. You must complete the entire application for submission. We only accept applications for the open positions listed. Please do not fax or mail in a printed version of the electronic application or a resume in lieu of an application. If you are having difficulty applying or need assistance, please call the Human Resource office at (831) 582-3389. All positions are open until filled. The completed online application and resume must be submitted by 5:00 pm on the priority screening date. Applications received after this date will be reviewed at the discretion of the university.
Open Date: 09/22/2016
Position Title: Research & Instruction Librarian, Sciences (Senior Assistant Librarian Rank)
Faculty Classification: AY
Faculty Status: Tenure-Track
Status: Open Until Filled
Department Name: Library
Job Number: FAC2016-258
Priority Screening Date: 11/15/2016
Recruitment Status: Application screening begins November 15, 2016.
Projected Start Date: 03/01/2017
The Research & Instruction Librarian position offers creative opportunities for a forward-looking, pragmatic, motivated librarian who will provide user-centered research and instruction services for CSUMB students and faculty. This librarian will serve as a liaison to natural sciences, including Biology, Chemistry, Marine Science, Environmental Science, and other disciplines.
The Tanimura & Antle Family Memorial Library’s mission is to help prepare knowledgeable, resourceful and responsible citizens for California and the global community by facilitating active exploration, discovery and synthesis of information. As a teaching library, its faculty librarians manage and deliver active, outcomes-based instructional programs. CSU Monterey Bay’s library has a longstanding commitment to the use of technology-enhanced services and resources. The Library’s curriculum-focused print/media collections and electronic resources are augmented by a rapid, efficient inter-library loan operation. The Library’s design co-locates library services with campus programs supporting student success, including writing, peer-tutoring, advising and undergraduate research. Currently, eight librarian faculty and seven staff share responsibility for the Library’s array of services in a highly collaborative environment.
This 12-month tenure-track appointment is under the direction of the Library Dean. In this collaborative environment, the successful candidate is responsible for meeting library and campus criteria for retention, tenure, and promotion in four areas of scholarship: Teaching and Learning; Discovery, Creation, and Integration; Professional Application; and University Service. Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the RTP criteria at https://csumb.edu/academicpersonnel.
For additional information see https://csumb.edu/library.
- Serve as faculty liaison to academic departments for selected subject areas, depending on experience, education, and expertise
- Collaborate with library and university colleagues in developing a spectrum of library related information services in support of student success
- Develop library collections in subject areas to be determined
- Conduct course-integrated and course-related information literacy instruction for groups of students and faculty; develop responsive and discipline-specific research instruction
- Participate in the Library’s general research (reference) and outreach services
- ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent by time of appointment
- Understanding of emerging issues, trends, workflows, literature, and standards in librarianship
- Experience providing information literacy instruction in a classroom or group training setting, with an understanding of instructional design principles
- Experience providing library research and reference services
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated interest in furthering CSUMB’s academic goals, as identified in the University Vision Statement (http://csumb.edu/vision)
- Demonstrated success working in collaborative library or educational settings
- Excellent analytical, pro-active problem solving and project management skills
- Ability to work effectively with diverse campus constituencies
- Ability to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities
- Undergraduate degree in the natural sciences, or substantial natural sciences coursework and equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience developing collaborations with academic programs and/or faculty at an institution of higher education
- Library collection development experience
- Demonstrated ability and interest in implementing new technologies in an academic library
- Proficiency in using government information resources
- Active involvement in professional development activities with record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession
- Grant-writing and resource development experience
- Proficiency in one or more non-English languages
- Additional graduate degree in a relevant discipline
Special Conditions of Employment:
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
The incumbent is required to maintain confidentiality as outlined in the Department of Education’s Family Educational Rights and Privacy and California’s Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position within the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Compensation and Benefits:
How to Apply: All prospective applicants must apply on-line at http://csumb.peopleadmin.com/postings/2193
Quick Link for Job Posting: http://csumb.peopleadmin.com/postings/2193
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk .
- Briefly list your area(s) of research and teaching expertise. (Open Ended Question)
- Briefly describe why you would like to work for the University and how your contributions would enhance the CSUMB Vision Statement. (Open Ended Question)
- Your feedback is important. Please take a moment to let us know how you found out about this employment opportunity?
- Cal State Monterey Bay – Website
- CSU Careers – Website
- Chronicle of Higher Education – Website
- Inside Higher Ed – Website
- Higher Ed Jobs – Website
- Diversity Jobs – Website
- Diverse Issues – Website
- Hispanic Outlook – Website
- Latinos in Higher Education – Website
- Women in Higher Education – Website
- Employee Referral
- If you selected Other, please list here. (Open Ended Question)
Documents Required in Application
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Cover Letter