Metadata Management Librarian
Rank: Senior Assistant Librarian (tenure track)
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Relocation funding may be available.
The California State Polytechnic University, Pomona University Library is seeking a dynamic and innovative librarian to play a leadership role in the Bibliographic Access Services (BAS). Responsibilities include: implementing, monitoring, enhancing cataloging and metadata policies, standards, procedures, and workflows. This librarian will serve in a key position to support library resources and services, bridging bibliographic control activities with technical capabilities and data driven statistics; will be committed to student success, and will foster a seamless collaboration among various divisions of the Library as well as among all CSU libraries. The Metadata Management Librarian reports to the AUL for Technical Services.
Desired Professional Attributes:
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong commitment to meeting the information needs of the University community; a strong customer service orientation; an ability and desire to interact effectively with students, faculty, and staff from diverse cultural backgrounds; an ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines; and a willingness to take initiative in devising innovative and creative solutions. The successful candidate will be able to work effectively with students, faculty, staff, and administrators in an academic environment.
Primary Responsibilities (BAS 80%):
- Provide leadership in the development and management of metadata curation and assessment
- Perform original and complex contributed cataloging in all formats and in a variety of languages, applying national standards using MARC 21, RDA, AACR2r, CONSER Standards, Library of Congress Classification, Library of Congress Subject Headings and Library of Congress Rule Interpretations
- Provide leadership to maximize the utilization of the integrated library system ALMA/PRIMO including systems configuration, normalization rule, jobs running, bulk import/export, data manipulation and trouble shoot
- Manage, support and provide statistical analytics from ALMA/PRIMO, including report development collaborated with other librarians in and outside of campus
- Provide leadership in the management of assigned BAS staff including hiring, specialized training and performance evaluation
- Maintain awareness and develop implementation plans if warranted, of new technology, evolving national standards, and best practices related to metadata curation and assessment
- Perform related duties as assigned
Other Responsibilities (Collection Management and Digital Resources Management 20%):
- Provide support for the Collection Management Coordinator in collection acquisitions and management including data based analytics and usage and cost reviews
- Provide support for the Digital Services & Technology Librarian in enhancing digital collection access/discovery, digital repository and social media initiatives
- Participate in reference, instruction, and collection management in the assigned subject areas
- Participate in library and university committees
- ALA-accredited graduate degree in Library/Information Science or equivalent degree
- Recent original and complex contributed cataloging in a variety of languages and formats experience through a bibliographic utility such as OCLC, in an academic environment
- In depth knowledge of cataloging standards: MARC 21, RDA, AACR2r, CONSER Standards, Library of Congress Classification, Library of Congress Subject Headings, and Library of Congress Rule Interpretations
- Recent experience and competence in using and manipulating ExLibris ALMA/PRIMO system
- Demonstrated knowledge of authority work and quality control for library collections
- Recent collaborative and creative activities and contributions delivered in a consortia environment
- Excellent analytical, communication, proactive problem solving and project management skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a culturally diverse and rapidly evolving environment
- Ability to meet expectations for professional growth consistent with standards for re-appointment, promotion, and tenure=
- ExLibris ALMA certified
- Reading knowledge of one or more non-English languages
- Recent supervisory experience
- Experience working with metadata standards such as Dublin Core, METS and MODS
Cal Poly Pomona Librarians enjoy faculty status and benefit from numerous services and programs offered though our Faculty Center for Professional Development and Instructional and Information Technology Division, including opportunities for training and professional development funding. The position offers a competitive compensation package that includes choices of medical, dental, and vision plan, a variety of other insurance benefits, and an excellent retirement program. Librarians accrue sixteen hours per month of vacation and eight hours per month of sick leave, and have numerous paid holidays and collective bargaining protection.
A completed application (to be submitted via email) will consist of:
- Cover letter addressing the candidate’s interest and background related to each of the qualifications listed above under required and preferred qualifications
- Completed Employment Form, found at: http://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/documents/acadapplication.pdf
- Contact information (including name, address, email, and phone number) for three references
- In addition, please arrange for your three references to each email a signed PDF-format letter of reference to the Chair, Metadata Management Librarian Search Committee at: email@example.com. Initial screening can begin without the letters of reference, but they must be received to advance to finalist status. Official transcripts are also required of all finalists
- Student Success Statement about your teaching, experiences, successes and challenges in working with a diverse student population (1 page, single-spaced)
Interviews: An on-campus interview and presentation is required for finalists as well as confirmation of degrees and proof of eligibility to work.
Please address all inquiries, requests or application materials via email to:
Chair, Metadata Management Librarian Search Committee
c/o University Library Office
Cal Poly Pomona
3801 West Temple Avenue
Pomona, CA 91768
Closing Date: This position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to applications postmarked by Feb. 28, 2018. Early response is encouraged.
About the University
Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our student population of approximately 23,000 enrolls in 51 baccalaureate, 30 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,200 faculty. We recruit successful and career-focused students from throughout California and beyond. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Southern California is one of the most dynamic economic and cultural environments in the country, and the campus is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
Equal Opportunity Employer
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The University hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the Unites States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available at http://www.cpp.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.