Position Title: Librarian
Department: Academics – General
Job Type: Part-Time (May be Full-time if combined with teaching duties), Exempt
Reports to: Dean of the College
Supervises: Student Library Assistants
Ensures library functions and services are appropriately planned, implemented, and managed. The Librarian assists the Cogswell College community in use of the library materials and resources through reference and research support as well as Information Literacy instruction programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the management and planning of library services
- Oversee and assist with Circulation services.
- Provide reference services and assist users to locate and access material and information.
- Analyze collections on a regular basis and provide expertise in acquisition, evaluation, and organization of information resources and technologies in all formats.
- Select, acquire, prepare, and catalog materials.
- Participate in the budgeting process and manage department spending.
- Supervise library employees.
- Provide information literacy instruction.
- Remain current in practices, information technologies, and educational research applicable to college library programs.
- Other duties as assigned
MLS, MLIS or equivalent from an ALA-accredited graduate program, OR a Bachelor’s degree AND five years related library experience, OR an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- At least two years of experience working in a post-secondary institution library
- Experience with library services to include: use of electronic public access catalogs, databases, and products
- Teaching experience preferred
- Familiarity with current issues and trends in libraries, information access, library technologies and reference services.
- Strong computer skills with the ability to learn new programs.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from a diverse audience.
- Self-directed with the ability work independently, organize and plan work.
- Ability to work with others in a collegial and productive manner.
- Knowledge of budget management practices and procedures
This job operates in an office environment with extensive people interaction.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand or sit for long periods; use hands and reach with hands and arms for such activities as keyboarding. The employee must lift up to 30lbs.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities are subject to change at any time.
Cogswell Polytechnical College, 191 Baypointe Parkway, San Jose, CA 95134
About the Organization
Cogswell College is a 130 year old, accredited institution of higher education located in the heart of the Silicon Valley.
Cogswell’s faculty members, most of whom have strong industry experience and connections, work to provide the finest possible academic programs that encourage creativity and exploration. The administrative staff is committed to creating the best possible learning environment while Cogswell alumni provide assistance through internships, jobs, workshops and other bridges to industry.
These dedicated people work together within a learning environment that is small, specialized, personal, technologically advanced, and affordable. Students don’t get lost at Cogswell College.
Be part of Cogswell- Create the Extraordinary!
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.