The U.C. Hastings Law Library is hiring!
Located in San Francisco’s Civic Center district, the University of California, Hastings College of the Law was the first law school in California. Over the years, it has built a legacy and reputation of being a preeminent institution comprised of renowned faculty committed to the study of legal theory and research, preparing students for careers in the judicial system, public service, and industry. The College is redefining legal education through an experiential, interdisciplinary, and international approach to the law. UC Hastings offers seven subject area concentrations, fourteen clinics, a wide variety of externship programs, and four nationally recognized research and advocacy centers. In addition to traditional JD and LLM degrees, it offers a Masters of Science in Health Policy and Law through a joint UCSF/UC Hastings consortium.
The UC Hastings Law Library is an integral part of the vibrant intellectual life at the College. Its collection of over 500,000 print and electronic titles supports the research needs of UC Hastings students, staff, and faculty, as does its staff of fourteen library professionals. As a member of our team, you will enjoy a warm-hearted, committed group of coworkers and a dynamic community of faculty and students.
We seek a talented and enthusiastic law librarian for the position of Research and Instruction Librarian. Under the general supervision of the Library Deputy Director, the Research and Instruction Librarian provides legal reference, research and instructional services to UC Hastings students and faculty, as well as other users of the UC Hastings Law Library.
Typical duties and responsibilities consist of, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides sophisticated research and reference assistance to U.C. Hastings students and faculty, as well as other users of the UC Hastings Law Library, during business hours, plus occasional Saturdays
- Provides legal research instruction to UC Hastings students and faculty via workshops, guest lectures, and video tutorials
- Teaches or co-teaches for-credit research courses in the College curriculum
- Participates in the library’s faculty liaison program by providing in-depth research assistance to assigned faculty and their RAs, attending faculty workshop presentations, and making resource recommendations to the Collection Development Committee on the faculty’s behalf
- Coordinates statistical research for accreditation studies related to the library and law school
- Prepares and maintains online legal research guides, video tutorials, and library aids
- Participates in the work of the Collection Development Committee in the selection of print and electronic resources
- Assists in the evaluation and weeding of the library’s collections
- Provides Circulation Desk support as needed
- Contributes to the library’s strategic initiatives and participates in the planning and implementation of new library programs and procedures
- Maintains an active interest in the profession of librarianship by attending seminars and conferences, and monitoring professional publications
- Facilitates collaborative relationships across College departments
- Participates in the life of the law school by attending events and volunteering for projects and committees
- Performs other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master of Library and Information Science degree from an ALA-accredited program or significant graduate-level coursework toward such a degree
- JD degree from an ABA-accredited institution
- Experience working in an academic law library desirable
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of legal materials and research methodology using electronic and print resources
- Knowledge of relevant aspects of library operations including understanding of contemporary library practices, trends and emerging technologies
- Knowledge of materials and research methods in non-law disciplines desirable
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational, time-management, and analytical skills
- Strong service orientation
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Enthusiasm, creativity, and ability to propose new projects and workflows
To apply, please complete the application at:
Please upload a cover letter and resume with your application. Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled. If you have any questions about the position, please don’t hesitate to email Hilary Hardcastle at firstname.lastname@example.org.