Final Filing Date: Monday, May 21, 2018
Hourly Pay Range: $27.93-$34.89. In addition, the City of Arcadia offers a monthly benefit allowance of $536.
This is a part-time, at-will position with benefits. The City of Arcadia is offering a rewarding opportunity to an enthusiastic, motivated and service-oriented Librarian I to perform a full range of complex tasks and support various sections of the library. The Librarian I will actively assist library patrons with finding and using library resources; plan and implement programs, and demonstrate exceptional teamwork, flexibility, and have strong commitment to providing quality customer service.
Responsibilities of the Position:
- Provide general and specialized reference, reader’s advisory, referral, and information services to patrons in person, by mail, social media, e-mail, chat, and over the telephone.
- Aid and instruct patrons in the selection of materials, collections and resources, as well as locating appropriate information sources.
- Teach a variety of basic, new and emerging technology literacy classes for the public; frequently use technology in daily duties to support patrons with new software, hardware, and mobile devices.
- Responsible for assigned collection development, maintenance, and evaluation. Exercise professional judgement to identify, evaluate, and select library materials in a variety of formats.
- Plan, schedule, and publicize library programs, exhibits, and events for children, youth and adults.
- Conduct community outreach including presentations at local schools.
- Assist in the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs and services in the assigned areas of reference, children’s services, or technical services.
- May exercise supervision over technical, clerical, and volunteer staff; perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Ideal Candidate Will:
- Demonstrate ability to originate, provide, and implement creative ideas and concepts for a variety of programs, services, and collections in alignment the Library’s mission and strategic plan.
- Exercise good judgment and problem solving skills, with a strong work ethic.
- Be team-oriented, courteous, and have an accessible demeanor with leadership, colleagues, and the public.
- Demonstrate an enthusiastic passion for customer service and a strong commitment to serving the community.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Be forward thinking, receptive to a changing community and open to trying new and different programs and services to best serve the community.
The current opening is in Adult Services: The eligibility list created from this recruitment may be used to fill full-time and permanent part-time vacancies in Adult & Teen Services, Technical Services, and Children’s Services within the next 12 months.
Experience: Some experience working in a library is desirable. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite is highly desirable.
Education: Equivalent to a Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited college or university.
Special Requirements: Ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, squat, crawl, twist, and lift, carry, push, and pull 20 – 30 lbs. with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Selection Process: Applications will be reviewed and those candidates who possess the most applicable experience and training will be invited to continue in the examination process. The selection process may consist of: Application Evaluation (Qualifying) and Oral Interview (100%). The City reserves the right to limit the number of interviews conducted. The interview score determines the ranking on the eligibility list and remains in effect for one year. A pre-employment background and medical examination are additional requirements for hire. Failure in either of these areas will result in removal from the recruitment process. Please Note: If you have a disability that may require an accommodation in the selection process, please notify Human Resources in writing when you submit your application.