California Institute of the Arts
Division of Library and Information Resources
Title: Reference and Instruction Librarian
California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) Library seeks an enthusiastic, service-oriented, collaborative and creative librarian to provide innovative reference and instructional services. Duties of this position include collaborating with colleagues in the Library, and with the teaching faculty, in planning, delivery, and evaluation of library instruction and reference services.
Position Category: Academic
Position Title: Reference and Instruction Librarian
School/Department: Library and Information Resources
Reports To: Dean, Division of Library and Information Resources
Position Starts: 01/02/2019
Search Closes: open until position filled
- Provides instructional services for the School of Critical Studies and as needed for all métiers, including teaching a credit-bearing information literacy class and conducting course-integrated library instruction.
- Plans, develops and assesses with the School of Critical Studies an information literacy curriculum for BFA students.
- Provides reference services for all library patrons, in-person, via email and by phone.
- Plans, develops and assesses the CalArts Library’s reference program.
- Provides innovative user-centered outreach services.
- Manages library social media accounts and actively promotes the library and its services.
- Creates, develops and maintains instructional materials, including web-based resource guides using LibGuides.
- Participates in evaluation of library services including reference and instruction.
- Compiles annual statistics for reference and instruction.
- Manages submissions of masters’ theses from graduate students across the institute.
Collection Development and Management
- Primary selector for reference materials. Works with subject librarians to develop subject reference collections.
- Selector for School of Critical Studies materials, including general education subject areas as well as for the MFA Creative Writing and the MA Aesthetics and Politics Programs. Works closely with faculty in the School of Critical Studies, maintaining in-depth knowledge of course offerings and curricula.
- Performs reference and general collection maintenance and weeding.
- Makes recommendations for electronic database subscriptions and other online products for reference and general education subject areas.
- Demonstrated experience in reference and library instruction.
- Demonstrated experience with instructional design concepts, practices and tools in an academic library setting.
- A strong commitment to excellence in public service and the ability to work effectively in a collaborative and culturally diverse environment.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
Education and Experience
- A Master’s degree in Library and Information Science (or equivalent) from an ALA-accredited institution.
- At least two years of professional experience working in an academic library.
- Knowledge of contemporary and experimental performing and visual arts
How to Apply
Position is available immediately. If you are interested, please submit a cover letter, resume and list of three references in pdf format by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.