Paul Leonard Library
Temporary, Non-Tenure Track
Research, Instruction, and Outreach Librarian
San Francisco State University’s J. Paul Leonard Library is a busy, teaching-oriented institution supporting a community of 30,000 students as well as faculty and staff. The collections include more than one million items in all formats, including an extensive collection of online databases and full-text resources. The SFSU library uses and contributes to Ex Libris’ Alma/Primo, which is shared by all 23 libraries in the CSU System.
The temporary Research, Instruction, and Outreach Services Librarian will provide online and face-to-face research assistance to the San Francisco State community; teach lower division information literacy instruction sessions and lead orientations and tours; contribute to library outreach initiatives; review, update, and add to the library’s new FAQ as needed; participate in the collaborative development, implementation, and evaluation of library services, policies and procedures; and contribute to library assessment efforts to ensure the quality and improve the effectiveness of library services. Depending upon the incumbent’s experience and expertise, the Research, Instruction, and Outreach Services Librarian may participate in the development of online guides, videos, tutorials, and other outreach and instructional materials; contribute to collection development related projects; and serve as a liaison to assigned academic departments.
ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent.
- Experience providing research assistance both face-to-face and online.
- Teaching or training experience, including the development of student learning outcomes, the use of active learning strategies, and the creation and use of assessments that measure student learning.
- Experience creating online research guides, instructional videos, tutorials, and/or other digital learning objects and instructional support materials.
- Experience engaging in outreach initiatives or designing outreach materials that promote an organization’s resources, services, and/or programming.
- Experience using Springshare’s suite of products (e.g., LibGuides,
- LibAnswers, LibChat, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
- Strong commitment to equity and inclusion and the ability to work effectively and collegially with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Rank and Salary
Appointment is expected to be equivalent to the rank of Assistant Librarian with salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Time base is up to full-time.
Submit a letter of intent/interest, a current CV, and the names and contact information of three references to Elizabeth Detrich, Personnel Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org, 415-338-3641.
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.