Electronic Resources Specialist, Library. Job ID 8219
The First Review Date for this job is: 6/15/2020
The Acquisitions Department supports the ordering and receiving of library materials for the University Libraries at the University of California, Berkeley. This position exists within the Electronic Resources Unit of the Acquisitions Department and functions as the Specialist responsible for establishing and maintaining access of all e-book packages, electronic databases, streaming media, and electronic journals for the Library. This position manages changes in access points to e-resources, updates holdings, checks links, updates IP addresses, informs LSO and CMS of cataloging and MARC record loading issues. Work also includes maintaining the Library’s SFX, EDS, EZproxy and database A-Z instances, and maintaining e-resource licensing and financial data in the eresources database. It also collects usage statistics to support collection analysis.
- Activates new electronic resources in the library’s various knowledge bases (Millennium, SFX, A-Z Database portal, and Ebsco Discovery Services).
- Performs required weekly maintenance on SFX instance in response to updates of the SFX Knowledge Base.
- Refers MARC records from vendors to Library Systems Office
- Establishes access for electronic books, databases, journals, streaming media, and other web-based resources in specialized publisher and vendor administrative websites.
- Resolves access problems for electronic resources, including analyzing and troubleshooting IP, proxy, vendor platforms, networks, and access breaches.
- Tracks publisher, platform, and title changes. Performs appropriate record maintenance. Migrates subscribed titles and access links as appropriate.
- Maintains e-resource licensing and financial data in Millennium order records or E-Resource Management System.
- Maintains documentation on processes and procedures for the management of electronic resources in the Library.
- Performs other duties as required to help the department meet deadlines
- 1 year experience within Library Acquisitions
- 1 year experience working with multiple bibliographic and other data sources such as an Integrated Library System, an open URL resolver, ez-proxy, and the databases of publishers, vendors, and electronic journal/database providers in order to maintain data integrity within and across systems.
- 1 year experience managing link-resolver knowledge bases, for example, SFX, Serials Solutions, Worldshare KB, Ebsco Journal Service.
- Experience receiving serials and/or electronic resources
- Specialized knowledge of vendor behavior and familiarity with major vendor, publisher, and online platform provider developments
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and ability to work creatively and effectively both independently and as a team member
- Detail oriented
- Demonstrated problem solving ability
- Experience with Millennium or Sierra ILS
- Excellent English language and communication skills, both oral and written
- Excellent computer skills and demonstrated proficiency with standard professional software, such as MS Windows, MS Office suite, and Google office apps
- MS Access query experience
Salary & Benefits
$24.15 – $27.68 per hour. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: