Cataloging and Metadata Coordinator, Non-Tenure Track
San Francisco State University’s J. Paul Leonard Library is a busy, teaching-oriented institution supporting a community of 25,000 students as well as faculty and staff. The collections include more than one million items in all formats, including an extensive collection of online databases and full-text resources. The SFSU library uses and contributes to Ex Libris’ Alma/Primo, which is shared by all 23 libraries in the CSU System.
The Cataloging and Metadata Coordinator provides leadership to the cataloging unit and lead work direction to cataloging staff. In addition to performing original cataloging and complex metadata creation, the Cataloging and Metadata Coordinator will lead planning, evaluation, and implementation of metadata and cataloging policies, standards, procedures, and workflows, as well as represent the library in implementing CSU-wide consortial level cataloging policies and procedures, such as those related to the shared Ex Libris Alma/Primo Unified Library Management System (ULMS).
- Provide original and complex copy cataloging in a contemporary MARC-based environment according to national, consortial, and local standards.
- Lead planning, evaluation, and implementation of metadata and cataloging policies, standards, procedures, and workflows.
- Provide lead work direction to staff in the cataloging unit.
- Implement, assess, and refine metadata workflows, policies, and procedures for the library’s digital collections, including special collections.
- Lead the library in implementing CSU-wide consortial level cataloging policies and procedures, such as those related to the shared ExLibris Alma/Primo Unified Library Management System (ULMS).
- Contribute to committees, working groups, and task forces for the library, university, CSU, and ULMS projects, while also actively participating in library planning.
- Maintain current knowledge of the development of national and international standards for cataloging, metadata, and linked data.
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of RDA, AACR2, DCRM(b), LCCS, LCSH, and MARC formats and standards.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collegially with a diverse population of colleagues and library stakeholders.
- Experience cataloging using the OCLC bibliographic utility.
- Experience using a library services platform, preferably Ex Libris’ Alma.
- Demonstrated experience cataloging special collections materials, serials, music, and manuscripts in English and preferably other languages as well.
- Current awareness of new trends and emerging technologies in cataloging and technical services.
- Excellent analytical and pro-active problem solving, organizational, and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member or leader of a team.
- Ability to adapt to rapid change and to exercise creativity and initiative.
Rank and Salary
Appointment is expected to be at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian with salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Time base is up to full-time.
Submit a letter of intent/interest, a current CV, and the names and contact information of three references to Elizabeth Detrich, Personnel Coordinator: email@example.com, 415-338-3641. For full consideration, apply by September 18, 2020.
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.