11-MONTH, TENURE TRACK POSITION
VACANCY IS CONTINGENT UPON AVAILABLE FUNDING
This position may include a combination of day, evening, weekend and extension site assignments.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the direction of the Dean of Instructional Support Services and in collaboration with the Library Department Chair, and in collaboration with one another, the librarians are responsible for providing services such as reference, instruction, collection development, technical services, and outreach.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO):
• Provide information literacy instruction in person and online through credit courses, workshops, and other modes of instruction
• Provide reference service in person and online using various print and electronic resources
• Design and produce curricular materials, research guides, tutorials, and other instructional resources in a variety of formats
• Participate in the collection development program and serve as faculty liaison in assigned subject areas
• Collaborate with discipline faculty on assignments, collection needs, and integration of information literacy into the college curriculum
• Collaborate with the others to prepare reports, assessments, and data in support of program reviews, Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs), and accreditation self-studies
• Serve on college committees and participate in faculty activities
Master’s Degree in Library Science or Library and Information Science OR the equivalent OR a valid California Community College Instructor Credential in Library Science.
Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a rich and diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds, and those with disabilities. Experience working in a community with a similar diversity pattern as is found in the service area for Southwestern College is desirable.
• A Master’s degree from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited school.
• Experience in general areas of librarianship such as reference and public services, instruction, and collection development
• Experience working with an integrated library system and academic library databases
• Appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a rich and diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds, and those with disabilities
• Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to establish positive relationships with students and faculty
• Ability to work collaboratively with all librarians and staff
• Knowledge of current teaching pedagogies and experience designing and implementing active learning activities
• Awareness of emerging technologies in library services
• Bilingual English/Spanish
• Familiarity with course management systems such as Blackboard
A short teaching demonstration will be required of finalists.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Upon initial employment, full-time faculty members are placed on the salary schedule based upon years of experience and education. The maximum initial placement for experience is Step 6. Faculty members are encouraged to continue their professional development through additional study qualifying them for advancement on the salary schedule. For current salary schedules and information on salary placement visit our website at www.swccd.edu. Excellent fringe benefits.
STARTING DATE: August 15, 2013 (Fall Semester)
Successful candidate may be assigned to any of the campus sites (Chula Vista, Otay Mesa, National City and/or San Ysidro).
APPLICATION DEADLINE: All application materials must be received online at https://jobs.swccd.edu by 11:59 p.m., Friday, June 21, 2013. Screening of applications will begin shortly thereafter. Any application received after the deadline is not guaranteed a review. Position open until filled.
FAXED AND E-MAILED MATERIAL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED, HOWEVER, APPLICATION MATERIALS ARE AVAILABLE ON-LINE AT OUR COLLEGE WEBSITE, https://jobs.swccd.edu.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Submit the following application materials on-line at https://jobs.swccd.edu.
(1) Letter of Application (cover letter)
(2) On-line Application
(4) Two current letters of recommendation dated within the past year
(5) Unofficial copies of college undergraduate and graduate transcripts with date degrees conferred
Foreign degrees require an evaluation for United States equivalency from an agency having membership with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. Upon offer of employment, the successful applicant must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all application materials are received by the deadline date.
All materials included in your application packet become District property,
will not be returned, will not be copied, and will be considered for this opening only.
INTERVIEW TRAVEL COSTS MUST BE BORNE BY THE APPLICANT.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer and in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act,
Southwestern Community College District will make reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.