Monterey Peninsula College
Dean of Instruction for Library, Learning Resources, and Online Education
Salary: $11,253.00 – $12,819.00 Monthly
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: 2021-00019
Closing: 9/7/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Monterey, CA
Priority Screening Deadline: September 7th at 11:59 PM
Monterey Peninsula Community District is committed to achieving educational equity for all students. As outlined in thehttps://www.mpc.edu/about-mpc/leadership/board-of-trustees, https://go.boarddocs.com/ca/mpc/Board.nsf/files/BJLSXW74D733/$file/12-11-19%20EDMasterPlan%20Board%201st%20Read.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/, https://go.boarddocs.com/ca/mpc/Board.nsf/files/BDAKP5518B99/$file/2019%20MPC%20EEO%20Plandocx.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/, and https://go.boarddocs.com/ca/mpc/Board.nsf/files/BG7ME45A5A6E/$file/09-25-19%20Student%20Equity%20Plan%20Board%20Presentation.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/. We provide students with a rich and dynamic learning experience that embraces differences – emphasizing collaboration, engaging students in and out of the classroom, and encouraging them to realize their goals and become global citizens and socially responsible leaders. When you join our team at Monterey Peninsula College, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative, and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice requiring broad collaboration among faculty, classified staff, administration, students, and community partners.
Monterey Peninsula College is designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and is an affiliate of the statewide Umoja Community of California Community Colleges. Monterey Peninsula College has a diverse student population that is a reflection of the communities it serves.
We value the ability to serve students from a broad range of cultural heritages, socioeconomic backgrounds, genders, abilities, and orientations. Therefore, we prioritize applicants who demonstrate they understand the benefits diversity brings to a professional educational community. The successful candidate will be an equity-minded individual committed to collaborating with faculty, classified staff, administration, students, and community partners who are also committed to closing equity gaps. An equity-minded individual is a person who already does or has demonstrated the desire to:
- Understand the importance of holding ourselves accountable as educators for closing equity gaps and engaging in equitable practices;
- Reframe inequities as a problem of practice and view the elimination of inequities as an individual and collective responsibility;
- Encourage positive race-consciousness and embrace human difference;
- Reflect on institutional and teaching practices and aim to make them more culturally responsive; and
- Strategically build buy-in and participation among colleagues for equity-related initiatives.
Monterey Peninsula College seeks employees who value mentorship and working in a collegial, collaborative environment, guided by a commitment to helping all students achieve their educational goals. All departments strongly encourage collaboration across disciplines to create inclusive, integrated, and interdisciplinary learning experiences. College faculty are expected to be knowledgeable about, and willing to use, different learning and teaching methods appropriate to the students they serve.
Under the direction of the Vice President of Academic Affairs, the Dean of Library, Learning Resources, and Online Education (LLRO) will provide leadership and oversight for instructional programs and instructional support services in their assigned areas. Under learning resources, this Dean provides oversight of tutoring centers which may include the Tutoring and Academic Success Center, STEM Tutoring Center, Math Learning Center, Reading & Writing Center. This Dean also coordinates with the Director of Academic Partnerships and Pathways for dual enrollment programs.
The Dean is an Educational Administrator responsible for administering state regulations, college policies and procedure related to Instruction, and working collaboratively with administration, faculty and staff to promote educational excellence and student success. The dean will manage and evaluate assigned managers, supervisors, faculty and staff, in conformance with appropriate policies and procedures, and carry out complex projects and special programs
Example of Duties
Duties and essential functions may include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Provide vision and leadership for a diverse, dynamic, and innovative community of faculty, staff, and students.
- Support a climate that promotes innovation and improved service to students and the community
- Cooperate with area staff and other managers to develop processes that are student friendly and supportive of student success.
- Provide year-round leadership, management, participation in the development and operation of instructional programs and/or instructional support services including day, evening, weekend, intersession, online, and summer programs.
Program Development and Enrollment Management:
- Facilitate and oversee instructional program development and curriculum development to address the mission of the college.
- In collaboration with faculty, develop programs, support a variety of methods of instruction (including face to face and online learning and learning support programs), and ensure course and program articulations are kept up to date.
- Assist in the coordination of division and/or area programs with those of other institutions and in the development of partnerships with external agencies.
- Coordinate and participate in the hiring process for management, faculty and classified staff in assigned division(s) and/or area(s) and recommend personnel actions to the supervisor.
- Coordinate and participate in the training of assigned managers, faculty, and classified staff.
- Evaluate assigned managers and classified staff according to established procedures and timelines. Assist and participate in the evaluation of faculty.
Planning and accreditation:
- Organize, manage, and participate in the annual planning and budgeting process in cooperation with managers, supervisors, faculty, and classified staff, ensure that division and/or area plans and budgets are aligned to college mission, goals, and objectives.
- Provide leadership for, and assist with division program reviews, annual program review updates, and action plans.
- Assist and participate in the accreditation process.
- Manage and participate in the continued evaluation and improvement of the assigned division(s) and/or area(s) instructional and/or instructional support services.
- Promote the assessment of student outcomes in order to determine the effectiveness of student learning and student programs in the assigned division(s) and/or area(s).
Budgets and Grants:
- With division faculty, staff, and other administrators, manage the preparation of class schedules, catalogs, brochures and other printed or electronic materials for the assigned division or area. Extract, analyze and utilize enrollment, usages, student success, and equity data for decision making.
- Manage the approved annual budget for assigned division(s) and/or area(s).
- Facilitate grant applications for assigned division or area, manage grants, and be responsible for required reports. Oversee grants in the assigned area ensuring compliance with the terms of the grant.
- Accurately interpret applicable laws, regulations and collective bargaining contract provisions. Interpret and analyze appropriate laws, policies, rules and procedures to determine impact on assigned division(s) or area(s) and monitor compliance and reporting strategies.
- Respond to, and seek resolution of complaints arising from division and/or area activities, including participating in the grievance process.
- Actively participate in, and support, college and district participatory governance components, activities, and other collaborative processes.
- Employ appropriate techniques and strategies to resolve disputes and to enhance communication and cooperation among the members of the College and District communities.
- Serve as liaison to other college units, areas and services, advisory committees, individual students and student groups, and appropriate university, school and community groups.
- Serve on college and district committees as assigned. May represent the district at state and regional meetings, committees, and conferences.
- Travel throughout the service area in carrying out responsibilities and functions.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge Of: Academic libraries, tutoring center operations, and online education. Computer-based technology for management of assigned divisions/areas and for instructional and instructional support services, the goals of participatory governance, principles and practices of administrative organization and management, planning, supervising and evaluating the work of others, employee motivation and training, applicable federal, state, local, district and college laws, rules and regulations, and collective bargaining contract provisions, complex business level English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation, emerging hardware and software technologies, report and presentation writing, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Ability To: Use organizational skills that enable performance of duties in a timely fashion with attention to detail, effectively communicate orally and in writing, manage financial resources effectively including determining how best to utilize resources and managing budgets and expenditures, use personal computers utilizing typical office software applications, including the Internet, work effectively with managers, faculty and staff in a participatory governance environment to accomplish the goals and objectives of the college and the assigned divisions or areas, exercise good judgment, demonstrate sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and gender backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff, including those with disabilities, establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Possession of a master’s degree from an accredited college or university and
- One (1) year of formal training, internship, or leadership experience reasonably related to the administrator’s administrative assignment and
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- A master’s degree in a field that is reasonably related to the assignment
- 3 years of increasingly responsible leadership positions
- Experience providing leadership for any combination of tutoring centers, online education, and/or academic libraries
Physical Effort/Work Environment
Environment: Busy office environment. Light to moderate physical effort, occasional standing or walking, periodic handling of lightweight parcels up to 15 pounds. Indoor work environment.
Requires evening and weekend responsibility. Required travel to District sites and occasional travel to other locations in the county or state.
Licenses and Certificates
Possess or ability to obtain a valid California driver’s license and must have an acceptable driving record and current vehicle insurance meeting State of California requirements.
Work Schedule / Supplemental Information
Exempt level position, 12 months per year.
This position is located in Monterey, California.
Starting Salary: $11,253 (Step I) – $12,819 (Step V) per month, depending upon experience and qualifications + great benefits package (no additional costs for benefits)
Monterey Peninsula College offers excellent employee benefits, ranging from health, dental, vision, life insurance, employee assistance program (EAP), and long-term disability, provides sick leave and contributes to the CalPers retirement plan.
How to Apply
Visit http://www.mpc.edu/about-mpc/campus-resources/human-resources/employment and select “Administrators and Full-Time Faculty” Here you will find the announcement and the “apply” button in the upper right hand corner. You will be asked to log-in or create a new user account.
- Complete all required fields of the application
- Attach a .pdf of your cover letter which describes your interest in and qualifications for the position, including how you meet the desirable qualifications.
- Attach a .pdf of your resume
- Unofficial transcripts for each degree earned
- Answer the required diversity statement
Only items listed above will be reviewed by the screening committee. Human Resources does not accept additional materials such as: letters of reference, test scores from other institutions, certificates of courses/programs completed, letters of commendation from schools, or transcripts with your application. Such items, if included, will not be forwarded to the selection committee. If you are a finalist, HR will request any reference information that is required.
Monterey Peninsula College reserves the right to close or continue the recruitment at any time.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance with the application and employment process will be accommodated to the extent reasonably possible. Requests should be made to the Office of Human Resources by calling (831) 645-1341.
For questions, please contact:
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon Governing Board approval. Employment with Monterey Peninsula College is not complete or official until applicants meet all pre-employment requirements. All new employees are required to submit proof of freedom from tuberculosis and proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Employees must sign the Oath of Affirmation of Allegiance, and submit fingerprints for California Department of Justice clearance. California School Employees Association Membership or an approved alternative is required.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2454132