Library / Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor / UC Santa Barbara
Apply now: https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/JPF02048/apply
View this position online: https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/JPF02048
Position title: Associate University Librarian for the Division of Digital Strategies
Percent time: 100
Anticipated start: January 2022 or later
Position duration: Indefinite
Open date: September 15th, 2021
Next review date: Sunday, Oct 31, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time) Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Friday, Dec 31, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time) Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The University of California, Santa Barbara (UC Santa Barbara), one of the nation’s top public research universities, seeks a dynamic and creative Associate University Librarian (AUL) for its newly created Digital Strategies division.
The AUL Digital Strategies will bring formative leadership across four areas: Digital Library Development; Interdisciplinary Research Collaboratory; Information Technology Operations and Library Systems; and Research Data Services. As part of the Library’s senior administrative team, the AUL will work closely with the University Librarian (UL), Deputy UL, and AULs for Research Resources and Scholarly Communication and Learning and Engagement. This dynamic position will bring vision and management to the Library’s expanding leadership role on campus in critical emerging areas such as data and digital asset management and policy, data science training and education, and open science research practices. Through relationship building, collaboration, and strategic visioning, the AUL will be an advocate and champion for the Library on campus, within the UC system, and beyond.
The Library is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching, and service.
The UC Santa Barbara Library is the geographic and academic heart of the campus and holds a local research collection of approximately 3.2 million volumes and diverse archival collections. The Library serves over 2.5 million visitors per year, and the website has over 1 million sessions annually. The Library’s annual expenditures are approximately $20 million, with approximately 150 staff.
UC Santa Barbara is a member of the 10-campus University of California (UC) system and is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU).
Over the last decade, UC Santa Barbara has made great strides in its regional, national, and international profile and impact, and is ranked #30 among “Best national universities” and ranked #5 among all public universities according to U.S. News and World Report. As the first AAU institution to be designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI), the campus takes pride in its student diversity, which includes the largest percentage of Latino/a students in the AAU. The University serves approximately 26,000 undergraduate and graduate students, 1,000 faculty members, and 4,500 staff members. Known for its highly dynamic intellectual community and beautiful natural setting, the University is an institution committed to excellence in research and undergraduate and graduate education.
To be successful, the ideal candidate will address a set of key opportunities and challenges. The Associate University Librarian for Digital Strategies will:
- Provide thought leadership and build a coherent vision for the new division;
- Work with faculty to expand the Library’s leadership and services in support of data-intensive scholarship, teaching and learning;
- Build a strong and cohesive set of services, tools and digital library infrastructure;
- Identify, leverage, and build resources to support the division and Library’s mission.
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Salary information can be found at
Associate University Librarians at the University of California, Santa Barbara are professional academic appointees who accrue vacation at the rate of two days per month and sick leave at the rate of one day per month. The University has excellent retirement plans and a selection of group health, dental, vision, and life insurance plans. Benefits information can be found at https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html.
Appointment or continued employment is contingent on successful completion of a background check.
Basic qualifications (required at time of application)
- At time of application, at least a Master’s degree; and
- At time of application, at least 5 years relevant work experience and at least 3 years supervisory or managerial experience.
- Demonstrated professional experience in the oversight and leadership of a complex portfolio of technology solutions with the demonstrated ability to envision and execute strategy in response to university and Library needs and constraints;
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, manage, complete, and assess technology projects across their lifecycle;
- Demonstrated professional experience in planning, oversight, and administration in academic/research libraries or other large-scale information technology environment, including effective leadership, supervisory, and budget management skills;
- A demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and the community;
- A thorough knowledge of technology trends in higher education, including demonstrated in-depth knowledge in areas relevant to digital initiatives and open science;
- A strong record of supervisory effectiveness that reflects mentorship and the professional development of diverse staff;
- Ability to inspire, build trust, lead organizational change, empower professional growth, and engage staff in delivering user-centered services; and
- Superior analytical, problem solving, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity – Statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and/or service. (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only) – References will only be contacted for the proposed candidate.
Apply link: https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/JPF02048
Help contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. For new University of California employees, the applicable deadline is eight weeks after their first date of employment. (Capitalized terms in this paragraph are defined in the policy.)
Santa Barbara, CA