We’re excited to share a job opening for a new position at The Claremont Colleges Library. First consideration date is 11/8/21.
Associate Director of Library Communications & Outreach
Working with the Dean of The Claremont Colleges Library (TCCL) and the Library Leadership Team (LLT), the Associate Director of Library Communications and Outreach will elevate awareness of library services, programs, and initiatives among key audiences and stakeholders through strategic and creative use of communication and marketing channels. In addition, the Associate Director of Library Communications and Outreach will serve as the primary person for formal, library-wide communications as well as a consultant giving support for divisional outreach.
In their outreach role the Associate Director of Library Communications and Outreach organizes and promotes the outreach activities of the Dean’s Office and promotes outreach events and activities spearheaded by other library divisions. The position requires a capacity to collaborate and thrive with fellow staff members of The Claremont Colleges Library in responding effectively to a unique environment comprising myriad and diverse stakeholders. The Library is a vibrant, innovative and inclusive center for research, teaching, learning, and scholarship serving students, faculty, and staff of The Claremont Colleges community, a consortium of five undergraduate colleges and two graduate institutions within the Claremont Colleges Library, each with changing and individual needs.
- Directs the Library’s formal communications and campaigns; produces, disseminates and evaluates the effectiveness of news items, press releases, marketing materials, annual reports, etc. with the aim of improving stakeholder awareness of and engagement with the Library.
- Serves as member of the Library’s senior administrative Leadership Team (LLT); key contributions include providing a comprehensive communication vision that advances the strategies and goals set by LLT and promotes the Library’s value to The Claremont Colleges.
- Supports the Library Dean in strategic marketing planning, communications from Library administration and presentations to external constituencies in order to improve communication and engagement with Library stakeholders.
- Serves as a partner and consultant to Library colleagues in writing and disseminating consistent, engaging, and effective informal outreach messages and materials (e.g., social media blasts, website news items, digital signage, subject-specific newsletters, handouts, program-related communications).
- Works closely with appropriate colleagues to collect, analyze, respond to, and communicate statistics supporting programs and outreach.
- Designs and conceptualizes outreach resources, such as signs, posters, flyers, exhibit labels and other forms of visual communication, both independently and in collaboration with Library colleagues.
- Helps to establish and sponsors the Library’s outreach team.
- Serves as web editor for administrative pages on TCCL website and intranet.
- Collaborates with Directors of public service divisions and the Claremont Colleges Services’s Communications office to set and uphold TCCL brand guidelines, expectations for public-facing Library communications, and the division of responsibility for conceptualizing, executing, and disseminating Library communications.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with other marketing professionals across The Claremont Colleges community to create innovative approaches to heighten awareness, understanding and engagement with Library activities, services, and initiatives.
- Completes other tasks, as needed, within the spectrum of strategic planning initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations, graphic design, journalism or related field.
- A minimum of two years of professional experience with a demonstrated record of accomplishments in marketing projects and campaigns (print-based and digital).
- Understanding of social media marketing and strategies.
- Understanding of data visualization and the graphic presentation of data.
- Commitment to the principles of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion as well as a commitment to fostering a diverse workplace and the ability to work with a diverse student and faculty population.
- Demonstrated leadership and analytical skills, creative and innovative problem-solving skills, and a strong commitment to service excellence.
- Outstanding organizational skills and the ability to lead multiple projects.
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and complete tasks and projects on time and within budget.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both independently and as a team leader and member. Demonstrated skills in promoting teamwork and collegiality among colleagues.
- Commitment to ongoing professional development and personal leadership growth.
- Must provide evidence of complete COVID-19 vaccination within 30 calendar days of hire, unless a medical or religious accommodation or exemption is requested and granted.
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science
- Professional experience working in an academic, research, or special library; museum; or other not-for-profit cultural heritage organization
- Close understanding of the academic library’s role in teaching, learning, and research.
- Experience in planning exhibits and events