Temporary Faculty Pool
Reference and Instruction Librarian/Affordable Learning Solutions Coordinator
Job no: 501823
Work type: Non-Instructional Faculty (Coach/Counselor/Librarian)
Location: Dominguez Hills
Categories: Unit 3 – CFA – California Faculty Association, Temporary, Time Varies, Library, Librarian (Non-instructional Faculty)
The Reference, Instruction & Outreach Services (RIOS) Department at California State University, Dominguez Hills (CSUDH), invites highly qualified, motivated, and well-organized, applicants for a pool of full-time teaching appointments.
At CSUDH, we celebrate and respect diversity in all forms that include every race, religion, gender, ethnicity, veterans, people with varied abilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. CSUDH is seeking applications from candidates who can demonstrate experience in teaching and working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and contribute to the University’s mission, vision, and core values.
For more information: Mission, Vision, and Core Values
Reference, Instruction, and Outreach Services (RIOS) Department, University Library
The University Library
The services of the University Library are housed in a 140,000 square foot, five story, energy-efficient addition completed in 2010. Staffing currently consists of 11.5 FTE professional librarians and 15.5 FTE paraprofessionals. The Library is home to two 33-capacity instructional labs, 100+ computers, 11 group study rooms, multiple quiet study and collaborative spaces, and informal lounge areas interspersed throughout the building and a café. It has emerged as CSUDH students’ “Academic Home away from Home.” CSUDH students study in a stunningly beautiful library that contains multicultural artwork reflecting the ethnic and cultural diversity of the campus, the community and the Southern California area.
The University Library fosters student success, scholarly research, and academic excellence through the provision of information resources; user-centered services and learning experiences; and welcoming, technology-enhanced environments that facilitate lifelong learning, collaboration, innovation, and the acquisition of information literacy skills.
For more information: https://www.csudh.edu/library/
The faculty of the University Library at California State University Dominguez Hills invites applications for full-time temporary librarian positions in the University Library’s Reference, Instruction, and Outreach Services (RIOS) department. The temporary faculty pool is continuously open, and positions are filled as needed, based on funding. Candidates may need to be available to begin in a position on short notice.
The ideal candidate will have enthusiasm for working with campus partners and students to promote AL$ and other low or no-cost course materials options in an academic library environment. This individual will also be passionate about working with students and faculty to meet their research and instructional needs.
The Reference and Instruction Librarian/Affordable Learning Solutions Coordinator will provide leadership and support for the University Library’s Affordable Learning Solutions program. In collaboration with library colleagues, campus partners, and AL$ personnel at the Chancellor’s Office, this Librarian will continue the University Library’s efforts that facilitate the discovery, adoption, and utilization of components of the Affordable Learning Solutions program at CSUDH. As a member of the Research, Instruction, and Outreach Services Department (RIOS) the incumbent will have reference, instruction, and collection development/management responsibilities in support of General Education (GE) classes in addition to coordination of this functional area.
The successful candidate will
- Serve as lead for all required AL$ program duties, that include submitting AL$ reports and RFPs, and managing funded proposals.
- Participate in providing general reference, research consultations, instruction, and outreach to academic departments regarding AL$ initiatives and trainings.
- Work with campus student organizations to develop a student ambassador program to promote low-cost and no-cost affordable materials for students.
- Assist faculty in finding and appropriately using AL$ resources that align with their courses through both consultations and the development of online resources (e.g., guides and tutorials).
- Supervise the staff member and students who assist and support the work of AL$ projects.
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited institution or an international equivalent.
- Ability to effectively participate in the areas of research consultation, instruction, and outreach to support Affordable Learning Solutions.
- Applied knowledge of the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education.
- Leadership ability, strong problem-solving skills, and commitment to continuous learning.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities and to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to carry out complex projects in a rapidly changing environment.
- Experience preparing and delivering workshops and presentations to a faculty audience.
- A positive attitude and excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience working effectively with ethnically and culturally diverse library users as well as users in other diverse groups (e.g. age, abilities, gender, etc.).
- Familiarity with issues revolving around OER such as open education, open textbooks, open access, open licensing, and copyright.
- Project management experience.
- Evidence of flexibility and innovative thinking.
- Experience providing reference services and research help both in-person and via chat.
- Experience teaching and/or training, using active learning methods.
- Familiarity with program assessment techniques to assess the AL$ programs.
Employment Requirement – Background Check
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Mandated Reporter per CANRA
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083, revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment.
How to Apply- To apply for this position, please click the “Apply Now” button on this page.
A complete application is required and must include:
- Current Curriculum Vitae or Resume with contact information
- A one page Cover Letter including a Diversity Statement and Teaching Statement
- List of 3 references with contact information
- Unofficial transcripts (an official transcript will be required upon initial appointment)
For international transcripts, a United States Equivalency certification will be required.
A United States (US) Equivalency certification is required for earned/awarded/conferred foreign terminal degrees, which is from a foreign Academic Institution for foreign studies. The US Equivalency certification is used to validate foreign studies from an academic credential evaluation agency and is evaluated on foreign studies and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from the United States. The certification must translate the information in English, and confirm that your highest terminal degree is US Equivalent to a US terminal degree (i.e., Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctorate’s, Doctor’s of Philosophy). The certification can be emailed to email@example.com or mailed directly to the Office of Faculty Affairs and Development, 1000 East Victoria Street, WH-368, Carson, CA 90747.
California State University Dominguez Hills is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
For more information: U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may call the CSU Dominguez Hills Human Resources Office (310) 243-3771.
Clery Act crime statistics for CSUDH are available at Campus Security Report (Clery), or by calling University Police at (310) 243-3639.
Upon appointment, all candidates must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
The California State University is Smoke and Tobacco-Free. Smoking, Vaping and other Tobacco use are Not Permitted anywhere on University property. Education Code 42356, CCR Title 5, Article 9.
For more information see: Smoke & Tobacco-Free
Advertised: 01 Jul 2021 Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: 30 Jun 2022 Pacific Daylight Time