This position will provide the successful candidate with an excellent opportunity to hone interlibrary lending and borrowing skills in support of research by patrons at Berkeley and around the world. There is room in the position for a healthy range of tasks and roles within the department and the Library as a whole. The department is committed to the principle of continuous improvement, and encourages employees to identify creative ways of improving service to the unit’s constituencies. The University offers very competitive benefits, including the potential for conference travel and presentations, paid leave, holiday leave and other benefits.
This position plays an essential, hands-on role at almost every stage in the work process:
- downloading incoming ILL requests;
- Performing detailed citation verification for the Lending and Borrowing units;
- performing quality control on work done by the Student Library Employees;
- digitizing and uploading articles and book chapters; assisting with monthly invoicing;
- assisting the Student Supervisor in training and directing SLEs for Lending and Borrowing;
- assisting with the management of Interlibrary Borrowing request queues;
- interacting with staff from multiple Library units.
- Recent, proven, professional level ILL experience working in a busy, academic library in collaboration with other ILL/Resource Sharing units and/or consortia.
- Substantive, recent experience using ILL systems and software, such as WorldShare ILL, VDX, CLIO, or another ILL management system.
- Recent, professional experience using an Integrated Library System (preferably Alma).
- Recent professional experience performing complex bibliographic searching of library catalogs and various online article databases.
- Demonstrated experience using scanners, microfilm readers, and other library-related hardware
- Demonstrated proficiency with standard professional software, such as the MS Office suite (Excel, Word, etc.), Adobe Acrobat XPro, Google Drive, and other Google and conferencing software and apps (Zoom, WebEx, etc).
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with colleagues as well as with the public by phone, email and in person in a professional manner.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds, and to push a loaded book cart weighing up to 300 pounds.
- Ability to read a non-English language.
- Experience working with student employees and collaborating with multiple units and departments.
- Knowledge of UCB library circulation policies/procedures.
- Familiarity with the location and layout of the U.C. Berkeley libraries.
- Demonstrated ability to execute multiple tasks simultaneously utilizing lateral as well as linear thinking skills.
Salary & Benefits
$23.22 – $26.39 Per Hour. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: