San Diego Museum of Man
Job Title: Assistant Archivist Reports to: Project Archivist
Department: Curatorial Date: March 1, 2014
Position Status: Temporary Full time FLSA Status: non-exempt
The San Diego Museum of Man (SDMoM) is accepting applications for an Archivist Assistant to aid with the cataloging over 7,000 archaeological site records and associated materials and make accessible online a collection of 25,000 historic photographs. The Archivist Assistant will report to the Project Archivist, and will work closely with the Collections Manger and Registrar. This position will assist in recruiting and managing of project staff and interns. This is a grant funded temporary position starting on March 1, 2014 and end
February 28, 2017.
• Aid in arranging and cataloging the museum’s photograph collection.
• Assist with research and data entry of cataloged items into PastPerfect.
• Preserve, stabilize, and re-house archival materials as necessary.
• Keep documentation of grant related activities, which will culminate in the creation of the
Archaeological Collection Cataloging Manual for SDMoM
• Monitor crowdsourcing comments on the museum’s Facebook and Flickr page.
• At least 2 years of college.
• Excellent analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills. Willingness to work in a team environment.
• Evidence of both professional initiative and flexibility.
• Demonstrated understanding of archival collections and principles of arrangement and description.
• Strong writing and oral communications skills.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Outlook.
• Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
• Experience in working with new media sites, including Flickr, Facebook, and Twitter.
• Preferred candidates will have completed coursework in Museum Studies, Archives, or Library Science and/or have previous experience working in a museum environment and handling museum collections.
• Familiarity with PastPerfect CMS and ArcGIS software.
• Experience with basic cataloging.
• Knowledge of photographic conservation.
Supervision, direction or guidance provided for this position:
The Archivist Assistant will be responsible for communicating and reporting to the Project Archivist and will work closely with other staff members in regards to all above points.
To apply, please email resume, cover letter, and list of at least three references by February 17, 2014 to Devin McClain at email@example.com.