Department: Library Special Collections
Rank and Salary: Assistant-Associate Librarian ($51,857 – $69,550)
Position Availability: Immediately
Application deadline for first consideration: May 12, 2019
Reporting to the Head of Processing, the Accessioning Archivist at the UCLA Library plays a key role in designing and carrying out archival accessioning and processing for newly acquired and backlogged collections through approaches that are user-centered, access-driven, and compliant with national standards and best practices. The Accessioning Archivist has primary responsibility for accessioning activities and will lead the development of a systematic accessioning strategy in LSC, as well as provide and implement recommendations to scale LSC’s accessioning program.
The responsibilities undertaken by the Accessioning Archivist are parts of a holistic stewardship ecosystem, and it is expected that the Accessioning Archivist collaborate closely with colleagues in LSC’s Collection Management, Curatorial, and Outreach and Community Engagement sections, as well as across the Library, in order to facilitate and enhance users’ experiences with LSC and its materials.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Oversee the accessioning program, including transfer and stabilization of records, establishing physical, legal, and intellectual control of incoming and backlogged acquisitions (both traditional and digital), and follow-up communication with donors, curators and, if any, appropriate stakeholders.
- Arrange and describe archival records in accordance with accepted archival standards. Use archival information management system to create and publish finding aids. Use cataloging tools and integrated library system to create and publish MARC records.
- Ensure completion of collection management activities during accessioning and processing, including collection surveys and assessments; developing and implementing processing work plans; identification and coordination of preservation and reformatting needs; overseeing the transfer of born-digital material; and tracking and assessing workflow tasks.
- Arrange for the intake of new collections and perform fieldwork, in collaboration with LSC curators and donors, to survey, create brief-listings, pack, and transport materials.
- Work closely with curators in the assessment and appraisal of collection materials during pre-transfer, accessioning, and processing phases.
- Collaborate with the Digital Archivist to develop and implement policies and workflows for the transfer and accessioning of born-digital materials.
- Collaborate with UCLA Library Preservation Studio to integrate preservation assessment practices into the accessioning process; conduct preservation assessments; and mitigate preservation issues during and after transfer of new acquisitions.
- With the Head of Processing, manage location and storage of collections, including maintaining locations data, assessing and planning for storage needs for new collections.
- Prepare and present statistical, narrative, and visual reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to department and library-wide outreach and community engagement activities, such as instruction and presentations, reference services, and social media.
- Participate in the work of LSC and Library-wide committees and groups, such as the Collection Management section.