the Ivory Tower:
Creative Strategies for Learning & Leading
20-23, 2006. Conference
11th CARL Conference 2006 Pre-conferences
(See the Schedule Page for locations and other events during the pre-conference days.)
Thursday, 4/20 4-7pm
- 1. "Documenting Fair Use Arguments on Campus"
- Presenter: Patrick Newell, Fresno State University
- 2. "Teaching
Information Competency: Building a Rainbow Tower"
- Presenters: Sandra Rotenberg and Mary Gumlia, Solano Community College
Friday, 4/21 all-day (9am-4:30pm)
- 1. "Creative Strategies for Learning and Leading:
Learning Commons - Purposes, Relationships & Outcomes.
- Presenters: Barbara Schader, Mary Somerville & Sallie Harlan, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
1) Beyond Facebook: Thinking of the Learning Commons as a Social Network
Jill McKinstry, Director, Odegaard Undergraduate Library University of Washington
2) Supporting the Learning Commons
Concept in the Real World
Jenn Stringer, Associate Director for Educational Technology
Stanford University School of Medicine
3)Knowledge Making: The Collaborative Cal Poly Digital Teaching and Learning Initiative
Mary M. Somerville, Assistant Dean, Robert E. Kennedy Library California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
4) Transforming Service Delivery: Teaching and Learning Beyond the Classroom
Shahla Bahavar, Information Services Coordinator, Leavey Library University of Southern California
5) A Case Study in Evaluation and
Assessment Planning for a Virtual Learning Commons: the UC Berkeley Mellon
Library/Faculty Fellowship on Undergraduate Research
Pat Maughan, Project Manager
Mellon Library/Faculty Fellowship for Undergraduate Research
and User Research Coordinator, University of California, Berkeley
Friday, 4/21 morning (9am-noon)
- 1. "Mission-Centric: Using Program Review to
Illustrate the Library’s Role in the University"
- Presenters: Jean Purnell and Lorrie Knight, University of the Pacific
- 2. "Weeding in the Electronic Age: Collection Development and the Selection
and Deselection of Electronic Databases"
- Presenters: Michael Epstein, Reference / Electronic
Resources Librarian, University of San Diego; Linda
Heichman Taylor, Business Librarian, CSU, Fullerton; Camille Wanat, University
of California, Berkeley; Jean Smith, San Diego Mesa College (CDIG-North &
Friday, 4/21 afternoon (1:30-4:30pm)
- 1. Beyond Usage Statistics: WASC and Library
Contributions to Educational Effectiveness and Student Learning"
- Speaker: Barbara D. Wright, Associate Director, Western Association of Schools and Colleges
Amy Wallace, Moderator, Southern California Instruction Libraries, CSU Channel Islands,
Tom Carter, St. Mary's College of California,
Bonnie Gratch Lindauer, City College of San Francisco,
Val Ontell, San Diego Mesa College,
Gloria Rhodes, San Diego State University (SCIL)
- 2. "Outside the Box Outreach"
- Presenters: Snowdy Dodson & Lynn Lampert, CSU Northridge & Armond DiRado, Elsevier (SEAL-South)
"Trends in Outreach for Information Literacy Instruction" Lynn Lampert, CSU Northridge
"Outreach Pilot Projects at CSU Northridge" Jacqueline Solis & Silvia Calzada, CSU Northridge
Bites: 'Library Instruction To Everyone' Via Dorm Television"
Catherine Brown , University of California, Los Angeles
"Coffee, iPODs and Cold Calls: Incentives & Strategies at UC San Diego's Scripps Institution of Oceanography Library" Amy Butros, University of California, San Diego
"Publisher/Library Outreach Collaboration - the ScienceDirect Experience" Armond DiRado, Elsevier
Pre-Conference Committee Members:
--Locke Morrisey, Chair (University of San Francisco, email@example.com; 415-422-5399)
Stephanie Brasley (University of California, Los Angeles)
Charity Hope (San Jose State University)
Bill Payne (San Diego State University)
an independent chapter of the Association of College and Research
Libraries. The information on this web site is wholly the responsibility
of CARL and implies no endorsement by ACRL